Just the Beginning...

In February of this year I had the privilege to go to a beautiful country. This Country had been on my heart for 4 years. If you had asked me just five months prior if I would ever go there I would tell you that I longed to go, but was not sure when God would open the door. Little did I know that at that moment he was preparing a time for me to go.

On Oct. 14, 2012 John and Dee Cook came to my church and shared regarding their ministry, Indigenous Ministries. I was deeply challenged and encouraged as John and Dee shared their story. When Dee spoke of the Christian Women in Egypt asking if believers in the West even know about her my heart began to break. Of course we KNOW about her! But do we remember? The woman asked Dee to ask us here to pray for them. That night I purposed in my heart to do just that. But I have failed to remember them. Sure I have remembered them from time to time and said a quick prayer. But I have not prayed for them daily as I ought. When I think of my failure in this area it does two things. #1 it causes my heart great shame. & #2 it challenges me to do better in the future. 

Back to India. When John and Dee were done sharing I went and talked with them and thanked them for their ministry and for what they share. I was deeply challenged. John told me, "You should come with us sometime." "Okay!" I promptly replied. "I'm not kidding, you should." He said. "Neither am I." was my reply. The next few months were very, very busy. I was already juggling school, work, teaching in Sunday school and Awana at my church, plus I was co-directing the Sunday School Christmas program at church. My plate was full. Then adding all the preparations that it takes to travel overseas, I was one busy kid. (yes, I still refer to myself as a "kid" even though I am technically an adult.) 

I was very busy and as much as I thought about the trip and prepared and read for it it still seemed like a far off dream. Not a trip that was right around the corner. 
As the departure came closer I felt more and more undeserving. What could I possibly offer the people we were going to see? We would be staying at a Bible College and I would be spending a lot of time with the girls that attended the school. Dee asked me to prepare a few devotionals to share. What would I say? I don't have anything to offer. It was during this time that God showed me that the only thing to offer is Him. His love, His mercy, His grace. And the special Bond of Unity that only followers of Jesus can share. 
We were in India for 12 days. You can fall in love in 12 days. I fell in love with the beautiful creation of God. I fell in love with the simplicity of life. I fell in love with their family values and their hospitality. I fell in love with the people and I fell more in love with the God who made them all. 
While we were traveling home John told me it would take me at least six months to sort out and process all that I had experienced. I knew he was right. But here I am almost five months later still having a lot left to process. I have let the business of life take over and I have many days forgotten the beautiful skies and the beautiful people that I met there. At times I have forgotten the experience that I said would change my life. At times I have even forgotten God. Not on purpose, but out of laziness and apathy. So now, I am purposing to remember. 
My goal is to write at least one post each week about India. My experience there and what I am learning still today.  I hope you enjoy following along with me as I take a journey down memory lane. 
All for now,
Lou 
Ps. 18:29

Comments

Popular Posts