New Beginnings (part 2)

After praying long and hard...
and talking (a lot!) with my parents, with friends, with spiritual mentors I still knew that now(being September 2013) was not the right time. I was beginning my second year of school. I couldn't just quit and move to Colorado. But at that point with the path that I was on I was planning to be done with sophomore year by January. So we began talking about my internship beginning in January and only going for about 6 months.
After more discussion we realized that wouldn't work because John and Dee would be traveling then.
In the midst of all of this discussing of future possibilities, it was expressed to me that they wanted me to come on full time with IMI in the future. wow. That got me really excited!
But what about my teaching degree? That is an excellent question...one that I wasn't able to answer until months later.
I'm not getting one.
In December I have decided to change my degree to International Business. 

But let me back up a little, to September.
A short time after we discussed my internship in January they realized that would not work well for them because they were planning to be traveling January through March. So Dee asked me to pray about going to the Philippines with her in March. A short time later, near the end of September, John let me know that something was wrong. Dee was scheduled to have a doctors appointment and would not be traveling. (They were going to be traveling to Michigan and a few other places to share about the ministry.)
I knew at once that something was wrong... I knew at that point that she had cancer.

I just knew.

Over the next week and a half as I waited (very impatiently, I might add) for the news I prayed and I hoped and I pleaded with God that she not have cancer.
But, she did. She does.

October 4th was the day I got the call. Dee was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer.
One month later I boarded a plane for Colorado. I spent 3 and a half weeks with Dee while she went through radiation and chemo treatments. Helping in the house, driving to treatments, running errands, cooking, and helping out in anyway that I could. 

While I was in Colorado we talked a lot about the future. Specifically about the possibility of me joining Indigenous Ministries. This was something that I had a great interest in. Not only did I greatly admire Dee and John, I loved the work the Lord was accomplishing through Indigenous Ministries. This is how missions should take place! This was working! The Lord was & is blessing!
I knew I wanted to be a part.

But what about school?

It was expressed by all parties involved (John, Dee, my parents, and myself) that my education should be completed. As John shared with me what this job would entail I found myself asking what type of degree would best prepare me for what lay ahead. What would prepare me to work in this international setting?
Well, business has always been an interest of mine. So, as I mentioned before, in December (after much thought, prayer and consideration) I changed my major to International Business.
In the switch from elementary education to international business I only lost one course that I had taken and only had to add two more, which was nice.

So as far as school is concerned, I am pursing my degree in international business.

January 2014 is when I pulled the trigger and officially joined Indigenous Ministries.

My position with Indigenous Ministries International, what does it look like?
My title is Executive Assistant for Child and Student Sponsorships.
I work with our children's home and bible college in central to find sponsors for each child and student and then to keep those sponsors updated on how their sponsored child or student is doing. I traveled to India for two weeks this February and will be going about twice a year.
I also work in the office assisting in newsletters, mailings, maintaining the sponsorship files and other office work.

I moved to Colorado in February. And I was terrified. (But that's another story for another time)

Work in the office is going very well! I am learning a lot. I mean a lot, a lot. Policies and procedures. Not a day goes by that I don't learn and not a day goes by that I don't make some kind of mistake. So far they have only been minor mistakes...for which I a thankful.

This has been quite the journey and I am very thankful to be where I am.
I'll do my best to keep you posted on how things are going! I'm working on this months newsletter, so that should be out shortly.

Thanks for all your prayers and encouragement.
You mean the world to me.

All for now,
Lou

Comments

Popular Posts