Adventures in Egypt
Last month I spent two weeks in a place I'd always dreamed of visiting, but never thought I'd actually get to.
Egypt.
So much history occurred in that country. The children of Israel. Moses. The Exodus. The pyramids.
I was there as part of my position as the Executive Assistant Sponsorships with Indigenous Ministries. The purpose of me being there was to assist in launching our Egypt Child Sponsorship Program working through our Egyptian ministry team and our local church plants. Dr. John, CEO of IM, also lead a team of US pastors to minister to our national team at a four day pastors conference.
More on that here: www.IndigenousMinistries.org
What I want to share with you right now however, is what I experienced when we visited a monastery about half-way through our time in Egypt. The monastery is located outside of Alexandria, the building of which was begun in the 4th Century. Some photos and the top six things that stuck out to me are below
Top six things that amazed me most about The Monastery of St. Macarius the Great:
1. Church History: Alive and well in Egypt
2. Faith and love for the Lord of the monk that led our tour
3. Shear size of the place
4. That God preserved His truth for THOUSANDS of years in a place I thought was mostly ignorant of God's truth
5. Each version of the cross has a very specific meaning behind it
6. Not just any bum off the streets can become a monk, the requirements are very specific
All for now,
Lou
Ps. 18:29
Egypt.
So much history occurred in that country. The children of Israel. Moses. The Exodus. The pyramids.
I was there as part of my position as the Executive Assistant Sponsorships with Indigenous Ministries. The purpose of me being there was to assist in launching our Egypt Child Sponsorship Program working through our Egyptian ministry team and our local church plants. Dr. John, CEO of IM, also lead a team of US pastors to minister to our national team at a four day pastors conference.
More on that here: www.IndigenousMinistries.org
What I want to share with you right now however, is what I experienced when we visited a monastery about half-way through our time in Egypt. The monastery is located outside of Alexandria, the building of which was begun in the 4th Century. Some photos and the top six things that stuck out to me are below
Top six things that amazed me most about The Monastery of St. Macarius the Great:
1. Church History: Alive and well in Egypt
2. Faith and love for the Lord of the monk that led our tour
3. Shear size of the place
4. That God preserved His truth for THOUSANDS of years in a place I thought was mostly ignorant of God's truth
5. Each version of the cross has a very specific meaning behind it
6. Not just any bum off the streets can become a monk, the requirements are very specific
All for now,
Lou
Ps. 18:29

Comments
Post a Comment