Blessings
It's raining outside today... last Monday/Tuesday we got a freak snow storm which dumped about a foot of snow on Colorado Springs - and more than that in places like Monument and Black Forest... a foot of snow on May 20th!?
Behind my apartment is a creek, so when we get a lot of snow and then it begins to melt, the creek gets louder - it's louder because it's more full and with the fullness (abundance) there is noise. It's louder today too, with the rain/hail coming down.
I think our lives should be like that - the more abundance we receive, the louder we should praise Jesus. And this pattern is easy to spot when things are going well - when life is good, easy, comfortable... But the thing is - we're no less blessed when things are bad, difficult, or uncomfortable. In fact, I think when things get tough, we're more readily looking for God to show up and more ready to surrender to Him, fully aware of our limitations.
It wasn't too long ago that I went through a really difficult season. 2018 had a lot of ups and downs in it - but bottom line, I got burnt out. Badly. I let the busy and hurry of other's agendas interfere with my compass - I gave up my time with the Lord for 30 more minutes of sleep in the morning. I gave up working out because I was "too tired" - all in all - I removed what truly gives me rest from my life because I was stressed, anxious, and overwhelmed. The very things that would have revived and refreshed me, I neglected.... and that only leads to disaster.
It was in October when I finally broke... finally admitted that I was burnt out... finally acknowledged the anxiety that had become commonplace. But I felt stuck - I didn't know what to do... It took a few more weeks to realize that things couldn't continue as they were, something *had* to change.
But what?
I didn't feel that I could leave what I was doing... after all, God had called me into ministry and I knew what I was doing was making a big difference! I loved knowing my day to day work was helping hundreds of underprivileged children receive badly needed daily help and the hope of the Gospel... but my heart just wasn't in it anymore. But, since I *knew* the work was good and I *knew* kids were being helped... I felt like a total failure for wanting to change things up - what was *wrong* with me?...
Rest - I wasn't getting any.
That's not to say that I wasn't sleeping or that I was working all day every day 24/7... The thing was, I was sleeping, and I was working a "normal" 40 hour week. But I couldn't find the rest I needed... my soul was exhausted, and had given all it could to manage and take care of the "emergencies" of work and home.
December was a turning point for me... it was then that I finally prioritized rest. I took some time from work - I rested - physically, I slept late and exercised more - I ate well and went for walks - but to be honest I felt so guilty for taking time for myself. So, so very guilty.
For many years I've dealt with the need to be constantly productive. The need to be DOING something, anything, that would give me a feeling of accomplishment or that would bring praise from other people for a "job well done." I not only thrived on those words, but without them, I couldn't survive. So, the need to constantly produce and the innate people-pleaser in me drove me into the ground, literally.
But God wanted me to unlearn those things. God wanted me to learn rest. God wanted me to stop hurrying and learn to depend on Him for my daily needs. To seek Him first, and rest in His approval of me. The only approval that really matters after all, is His.
And God still wants me to unlearn and learn - every day.
I say all that to say this: without the complete breaking I experienced last Fall - I wouldn't be in this place of abundance today.
Breaking comes before the abundance. Pruning comes before bearing more fruit. Just like the crushing of the grapes comes before the creation of the wine.
Today I am filled with joy - everyday God has made me so aware of His blessings in my life. And this began in December when I finally *stopped* and listened to Him and chose to receive what He'd already given to me.
The breaking caused me to become more faithful in prayer & more dependent on Him. It caused me to listen more closely to His voice; to follow Him where He leads.... instead of where I *thought* I needed to go.
Often in America we think of God's blessings in tangible ways... our homes, cars, jobs, churches (The actual buildings)...
stuff.
But what if we realized that the "stuff" we have is only a tiny glimmer of the blessings He longs to give to us? What if we lost everything that we physically owned?? Would we be any less blessed?
As hard of a situation as that would be... I don't think we'd be any less blessed. God's blessings come in many ways - but the chief among them is His love for us - evidenced by Jesus' sacrificial death and resurrection - to bring us into fellowship with Himself. (Romans 5:6-8)
I have seen the Lord's provision in my life - with transitioning ministries and raising support again, God has been so faithful to provide. I'm not fully supported yet - But I know it will come in time. In the meantime, He's given me a fresh perspective to focus on His intangible blessings.
The little blessings along the way amaze me the most... those small gentle reminders to pause and receive what He has for me.
Peace, love, joy -
These blessings are so easily overlooked in my mountain of to-do lists, "I-should" lists, journals, and Bible study tools... but if I don't stop to receive what He wants to give me - deep soul food and restoration, well anything I "accomplish" it really worth what it could be?
So today, my challenge for you is this: pause. Take a deep breath and ask God to reveal what He wants to give you - and then tell Him that you'll receive it. He's waiting to bless you.
"We have as much of God as we want." - A. W. Tozer
All for now,
Sarah Lou
Behind my apartment is a creek, so when we get a lot of snow and then it begins to melt, the creek gets louder - it's louder because it's more full and with the fullness (abundance) there is noise. It's louder today too, with the rain/hail coming down.
I think our lives should be like that - the more abundance we receive, the louder we should praise Jesus. And this pattern is easy to spot when things are going well - when life is good, easy, comfortable... But the thing is - we're no less blessed when things are bad, difficult, or uncomfortable. In fact, I think when things get tough, we're more readily looking for God to show up and more ready to surrender to Him, fully aware of our limitations.
It wasn't too long ago that I went through a really difficult season. 2018 had a lot of ups and downs in it - but bottom line, I got burnt out. Badly. I let the busy and hurry of other's agendas interfere with my compass - I gave up my time with the Lord for 30 more minutes of sleep in the morning. I gave up working out because I was "too tired" - all in all - I removed what truly gives me rest from my life because I was stressed, anxious, and overwhelmed. The very things that would have revived and refreshed me, I neglected.... and that only leads to disaster.
It was in October when I finally broke... finally admitted that I was burnt out... finally acknowledged the anxiety that had become commonplace. But I felt stuck - I didn't know what to do... It took a few more weeks to realize that things couldn't continue as they were, something *had* to change.
But what?
I didn't feel that I could leave what I was doing... after all, God had called me into ministry and I knew what I was doing was making a big difference! I loved knowing my day to day work was helping hundreds of underprivileged children receive badly needed daily help and the hope of the Gospel... but my heart just wasn't in it anymore. But, since I *knew* the work was good and I *knew* kids were being helped... I felt like a total failure for wanting to change things up - what was *wrong* with me?...
Rest - I wasn't getting any.
That's not to say that I wasn't sleeping or that I was working all day every day 24/7... The thing was, I was sleeping, and I was working a "normal" 40 hour week. But I couldn't find the rest I needed... my soul was exhausted, and had given all it could to manage and take care of the "emergencies" of work and home.
December was a turning point for me... it was then that I finally prioritized rest. I took some time from work - I rested - physically, I slept late and exercised more - I ate well and went for walks - but to be honest I felt so guilty for taking time for myself. So, so very guilty.
For many years I've dealt with the need to be constantly productive. The need to be DOING something, anything, that would give me a feeling of accomplishment or that would bring praise from other people for a "job well done." I not only thrived on those words, but without them, I couldn't survive. So, the need to constantly produce and the innate people-pleaser in me drove me into the ground, literally.
But God wanted me to unlearn those things. God wanted me to learn rest. God wanted me to stop hurrying and learn to depend on Him for my daily needs. To seek Him first, and rest in His approval of me. The only approval that really matters after all, is His.
And God still wants me to unlearn and learn - every day.
I say all that to say this: without the complete breaking I experienced last Fall - I wouldn't be in this place of abundance today.
Breaking comes before the abundance. Pruning comes before bearing more fruit. Just like the crushing of the grapes comes before the creation of the wine.
Today I am filled with joy - everyday God has made me so aware of His blessings in my life. And this began in December when I finally *stopped* and listened to Him and chose to receive what He'd already given to me.
The breaking caused me to become more faithful in prayer & more dependent on Him. It caused me to listen more closely to His voice; to follow Him where He leads.... instead of where I *thought* I needed to go.
Often in America we think of God's blessings in tangible ways... our homes, cars, jobs, churches (The actual buildings)...
stuff.
But what if we realized that the "stuff" we have is only a tiny glimmer of the blessings He longs to give to us? What if we lost everything that we physically owned?? Would we be any less blessed?
As hard of a situation as that would be... I don't think we'd be any less blessed. God's blessings come in many ways - but the chief among them is His love for us - evidenced by Jesus' sacrificial death and resurrection - to bring us into fellowship with Himself. (Romans 5:6-8)
I have seen the Lord's provision in my life - with transitioning ministries and raising support again, God has been so faithful to provide. I'm not fully supported yet - But I know it will come in time. In the meantime, He's given me a fresh perspective to focus on His intangible blessings.
The little blessings along the way amaze me the most... those small gentle reminders to pause and receive what He has for me.
Peace, love, joy -
These blessings are so easily overlooked in my mountain of to-do lists, "I-should" lists, journals, and Bible study tools... but if I don't stop to receive what He wants to give me - deep soul food and restoration, well anything I "accomplish" it really worth what it could be?
So today, my challenge for you is this: pause. Take a deep breath and ask God to reveal what He wants to give you - and then tell Him that you'll receive it. He's waiting to bless you.
"We have as much of God as we want." - A. W. Tozer
All for now,
Sarah Lou

Comments
Post a Comment