The Sunday my Future Changed...


February 9th 2020 was a cold winter day. A perfect February day in Colorado; snow covered the ground, slightly windy and about 23 degrees.

It was also the day I became engaged!!!

Jon-Paul and I had been dating 9 months and 9 days. I had begun to be suspicious that the proposal was coming soon...but I had no idea just how soon! 

Since November, I'd been sure that Jon-Paul was the one I wanted to marry, but still thought it be best that we wait for a bit... Marriage is a big deal and I didn't want to rush into it.  But, in all honesty, I think I was still afraid. We kept dating and talking, and making memories. Christmas came and went with no engagement, and New Years too... but I was glad for that.

The first week of January, Sunday night at church, the Lord dealt with my stubborn heart. He convicted me of 'manipulating' the timeline. And by 'manipulating' I mean putting off the engagement by saying very clearly that it was too soon for us to be engaged and I wanted to wait longer. I didn't really have a reason other than, well, because I was afraid. I still felt that there were so many unknowns. But that night at church,  I knew the Lord was right, I repented of my pride, of controlling the timeline. I brought my will under submission to Him, and then the Lord told me that I needed to tell Jon-Paul... dang it... haha

So I did. Right as the service was ending and people were gathering their things to leave, I turned to him and said, "we need to talk." He simply replied, "okay." So I began. I shared what the Lord had been working in my heart that evening, and that I felt compelled to share this with him. I was also quick to add, "this doesn't necessarily mean that our current timeline needs to change - we just need to pray about what the Lord might want us to do." I knew in my heart that it did mean the timeline I had mapped out in my mind needed to change. Submission to God means letting Him be God, and I walk in joyful obedience to Him. He is trustworthy. 

By the end of January I knew I did not want to wait another year. In fact, I didn't think that I could.. I loved Jon-Paul with all my heart and knew beyond the shadow of a doubt that I wanted to build my life with him and serve Jesus together all my days. I told him basically that before I left for a week in Florida with my family. That week he began planning our engagement. He took two of my friends and bought the ring. He called my parents and asked for their blessing. 

I was totally surprised the night he asked me to be his wife. Surprised at the moment, not the question. That afternoon I had gone with some girlfriends to get our nails done… to celebrate the birthday of one of my friends… or so I thought. The reason I was not aware of was to but make my hands "I'm-engaged!" photo-ready! It worked out and I was none the wiser. 

Since it was a Sunday, we went to church in the evening, I was volunteering in the kids ministry that night. I remember telling a dear friend my suspicions of a proposal coming soon - perhaps on Valentine's Day only a few days away, I wondered aloud.  After church I had plans to have a girls night with two of my other friends - they were set to pick my up around 7:45pm. I was so excited! We'd been talking about having a girl's night for awhile. 

They picked my up right on time and we set out for the restaurant. I excitedly began telling them of my suspicions about an approaching engagement. A few minutes down the road, right as we were coming up on the Pulpit Rock trail head, Sara said, "I think something's wrong with the car…" she began to pull off the road. I definitely believed her and was wondering what was wrong…but as we pulled into the parking lot for the trail, her headlights passed across the back of JP's car… and then over the back of Katie's car. I was so confused.. And then it all clicked into place. Now. It was happening right now! Sara parked the car and up ahead on the trail, I could see tea-lights shining in the darkness, lining the path going around the bend. 

"we're just supposed to tell you to follow the lights." Janie said, her face glowing with a wide smile.

I got out of the car, slightly unsteady on the ice in my healed boots. My stomach had been filling with butterflies since I saw his car, and now they carried me on their wings as I floated down the icy trail towards my future husband. 

"Wow!" I remember thinking, as I thanked Jesus for bringing us to this moment. I rounded the bend and saw Katie off to the right, snapping photos with my camera. And there, where the lights came to and end, was Jon-Paul, standing under a small tree that had been strung with fairy lights and lanterns. It was magical. He was smiling as I approached, hands clasped in front of him. I said, "hey babe" and he greeted me with a big smile and a "hello." 

He took my hands in his and looked me in the eyes. As he began his proposal I thought, "remember every word - you don't want to forget this!" And then I thought "shut up - you're missing it!" Haha - This may not be word-for-word, but it's what I remember.


"Sarah, these last nine months have been wonderful!. I've grown and learned. You're an incredible woman. I want to do life with you, build with you, grow with you, pursue Jesus with you, and be with you forever. So I have a question to ask you. Sarah Louise Rieger, will you marry me?" 

As he asked that last question, he pulled a small brown box from his pocket and got down on one knee. As he opened the lid, the light sparkled on the most beautiful diamond ring I had ever laid eyes on. "Yes!" I nearly screamed, "Of course YES!" He gently slid the ring onto my finger and stood and kissed me. We hugged for a long time. And then he put his coat on because he was freezing! I don't think I stopped smiling for a few days… That night my smile was the biggest it's ever been.




We walked down the path hand in hand… Katie snapping pictures all the while. When we reached the parking lot we were greeted by cheers and glow sticks and shouts of "did you say 'yes'?" To which I shouted back, "NO!" haha - Josh & Janie, Cameron & Sara, Brandon & Caroline, and Isaac & Jessica were all there to celebrate with us!! Katie had planned a small party back at our apartment, so we quickly left the cold for the warmth, food & champagne. We celebrated into the night, smiles & photos all around.



My heart was full of thanksgiving to the Lord! He had brought me the one whom my soul loves… and I couldn't be happier with His choice for me. 

Valentine's Day Celebration- 2021

All for now, 

Lou



Comments

Popular Posts