Christmas Time
This weekend we are at our Grandparents house "up North"... It is one of the most wonderful places to be, especially this time of year.
Today the scent of cinnamon, nutmeg, apples and blueberries filled the house as the pies were baked for the celebration tomorrow. Every year all the Aunts and Uncles and cousins and (now) great grandchildren come to celebrate Christmas together. It's not always on Christmas anymore because we (all the cousins) are all growing up and getting busier lives. But we still meet, every year... at least everyone who can make it.
Tomorrow my brother, his wife and my sister, her fiance and their kids will come up. Once they arrive we will have a big dinner together and then begin the Christmas gift exchange. We do it "white elephant" style. Instead of buying gifts for everyone we each buy a $25 gift card for someplace. We wrap them up and then play a game to exchange them. When it's your turn to choose you may either open a new one or 'steal' one that has already been opened. It's really fun and we all have a great time.
One of the other reasons that this is the most wonderful place to be is that it is "disconnected" from all the hustle and bustle of "real life" (yes I can feel the irony of it being 'disconnected' has I type and upload this from my iPad) My Grandparents live in the country, so even though I can still get a cell signal (occasionally) and they do have wifi, it FEELS disconnected.
Disconnected from the current business and craziness of what has become my life, but yet so connected to the past. Coming here reconnects me with my childhood. It reminds me what it was like to not have a care in the world. reminds me that there are always welcoming arms here (cuz let's be real...sometimes we feel like we have no where to turn) But more importantly, it reminds me of the real things in life. God, family, and food. :) Seriously, my Grandma and Grandpa know how to cook!!!
We always spend some time thanking God and reading the Christmas story from Luke 2.
I am so very thankful to God for the godly heritage that He has blessed me with! Of course there are still disagreements and we sometimes get stressed out and all that. But at the end of the day we are family. We have a God who loves us and in fact demonstrated that love in the most perfect way. I am also thankful for that this Christmas season. I don't think that I will ever be able to fully understand the love that compelled my perfect Savior to leave His home in Glory to be born in the most helpless form...a baby. I can't understand it...but I sure am thankful!!!
I hope that you all have had a blessed time celebrating with your friends and family this Christmas season.
God Bless!
All for now,
Lou
Ps.18:29

Comments
Post a Comment