Rest is a Four-letter Word


Rest. 

It's a four-letter word. 

At least, that's how we (read 'I') often think of it. In our fast-paced and over-scheduled life, we don't often leave room for rest. We sometimes believe that resting is laziness; that if we're not being "productive" or checking items off of our to-do lists, then we aren't enough. 

There are so many demands on our time. No matter the roles we're in, we're under pressure to keep the house clean, to do well in our jobs, to study hard for school, and/or to care for children, or keep up with anything else that demands your attention. None of these things are wrong - but the priority we place upon them is the problem. At least, for me it was. I've far too often placed the priority on accomplishing items on my checklist - both at work and home - and the never-ending to-do list just kept growing. 

I'm a type-A kind of gal, one of my favorites things to do is making to-do lists and then checking things off one by one. Man, that sure makes me feel productive, successful, even valued. Worth-it. 

But what happens when I believe this about myself?

In placing my value in the number of checks that I've made on my list, I remove it from the rightful place of Jesus, I say to my heart that my value and worth are based on what I accomplish, instead of on what was accomplished for me by Jesus. My mom always told me that my worth is not in what I do, but in who I am. Also, (& more importantly) in whose I am. 

When God created the world, He created work, and He said that it was good. But do you know what else He created at the beginning of time? 

A rhythm of rest...

"then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made." (Gen. 2:3) God worked for six days to create the world, the stars, the sun & the moon, then after the work, He rested. 

In the N.T. we also see examples of Jesus taking rest himself, encouraging His disciples to do likewise, and telling people that He is the one who gives rest...

In Mark 6:30-31 Jesus says, "... 'Come away by yourselves to a secluded place and rest a while.'... For there were many people coming and going, and they did not even have time to eat." 

After a busy season, it is healthy and proper for us to take some time away from the hustle and bustle and rest with our Lord. 

And again he says in Matthew 11:28-30 "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and my burden is light." 

If God instituted the rhythm of rest from the beginning of time, and Jesus also took time to rest while He was here on earth, how much more do we, as finite humans, need to make the time to rest? 

This doesn't mean that rest is something we accomplish on our own. If you re-read Matthew 11:28-30  then you'll find that Jesus is the one who GIVES  rest. In Psalm 23 its shared that He is also the one who RESTORES our souls. Rest and restoration are not activities that we make happen, but things that we make room for the Lord to accomplish in our lives. 

Sometimes what we think rest is - is really just a distraction. While tv may feel relaxing, it can't refill what you've given away - even reading can't re-fill your soul. (Although, I think it helps more than the former.) 

Rest can be many things, and for each one, the experience will look a little different. For some rest may be sleeping, going for a walk, stretching, journaling, drinking a hot beverage, or sitting alone quietly without music. - Above all, rest is making space to be alone with God and listen to His voice. God can speak to us at any time, but often we make our lives so full & noisy, that we're too preoccupied to hear Him speak. (this isn't an exhaustive list of restful activities - but the point is making room for God to speak life and truth into our weary souls. 

I've often found that God speaks quietly, whispers even. He doesn't normally shout for our attention, nor is He an angry and demanding God. He's gentle and speaks His truth, wisdom, and guidance to us in love. 

The question is - will we be still long enough to make room for Him to speak, and accept His rest for our souls? Or, will we work ourselves ragged and distract ourselves in our free time - never truly hearing God speak and always wondering - why? ...

What are your thoughts on the topic of rest? Are you good at it/never rest/don't know how to rest...or? Please leave a comment below and let me know. 

Peace & Love,
Sarah

Comments

Popular Posts